Monday, June 10, 2013

Journey to Higher Ground











Just let me start out by saying that I attended girls camp in 1973 and 1974.  The goal seemed to me to be to draw the young women together and form strong friendships.  Then last year I had the opportunity to attend as one of the wives in the bishopric for a short 1/2 day.
 
 
 
This year I was asked to go as a cabin mom and it has sure changed.  We did some of those same things that were done in earlier years, silly skits, camping skills, hiking, canoeing, camp songs and evening programs. What got me the most though was the Friday activity.

 
Friday morning one of the camp leaders brought the cabin mom's a small back of sparkly beads.  I had seen the staff wearing bracelets made out of these same beads.  We were instructed that we had enough beads to give each girl 4 and that we were to only give them out if they were doing things that went beyond what was required.  My thoughts were 4 beads don't make a bracelet but I trusted and we began the day.  During the day I saw other leaders and teachers handing out beads.  That made more sense to me, more beads, maybe a bracelet.  Then in our cabin mom meeting they said that the evening program would consist of a hike (journey) and that only one leader from each ward could go.  We had 2 cabins and 4 cabin moms for our ward.  Sarah was chosen to go with the girls.
 
The evening program began and they invited the Young Women Staff leaders to come to the front.  They were dressed as the 10 virgins.  Each ward was assigned to a girl and off they went on their journey.  That left only the rest of the adults in the ramada.  We were instructed that we were to prepare the ramada for the wedding feast.  We started. Everything was draped in white fabric and white Christmas lights. The room was fabulous.  It was amazing what we could accomplish in just over an hour.  Then they told us that it would take 8 beads for our girls to enter into the feast and that the rest would be left outside with an alternate activity (they assured us that it would be ok).  I cannot describe fully the feeling I had.  I had come to love each of these girls and could not bear that they would not have enough beads.  Then they taught us a dance performed at Jewish weddings so we could teach the girls when they arrived.  The girls were getting close to arriving and we were told to be joyful and excited.  Not a problem but I could not help the tears that just started and I could not stop as I waited ward after ward for our girls to get there.  Finally as they started arriving we shouted and hugged them but girls were everywhere (about 200 of them).  We still hadn't found 2 of our small ones. The dancing started and I just could not stop crying.  Finally I saw them and the sense of relief and love I felt were overwhelming.  We danced and shouted and had a good time for about the next hour.  Then we all helped put up the tables and got our refreshments and the rest joined us.
 
We shared our feelings of the evening.  Ours of preparing and waiting.  The girls of the journey and how at each stop 2 beads were required.  Each stop was a trial that we each pass through during our life, for instance, life isn't what we expected it would be, ect.  They were given the chance to go and do a service and earn more beads on their journey.  Only a handful of girls did not have enough beads.  They related how they felt in the dark wanting to join in the light, the joy, and the fellowship of the others.  Other girls said they were heartbroken  that they could not share their beads with their friends and sisters.  One young women had lost her beads during the day when her bag came open as she was walking around camp.  She compared that to neglecting her beads and not giving them importance they deserved.  The 10 virgins stated that only the five with the most beads could enter so even they did not know who would attend and who would not. 
 
In my lifetime I have come to understand that the oil (beads) that we have are the product of the things we do to come to know and follow Jesus Christ.  Those things being reading our scriptures, praying sincerely, doing things that we believe the Savior would do if he were walking in our shoes,  obeying the two greatest commandments, to love God first and then the second to love each other.  We can try to share these things with others with our hearts wide open, hoping that they are received.  Those are the things that give us the inner strength to bear the hard things in this life and uplift others in their trials.
 
The feelings that I had at the feast were the same feelings I have had at the temple when we have joined together in the Celestial room rejoicing. 
 
I must say camp has changed in 40 years.  It is so much more than just camping.  I love my Heavenly Father and can't imagine what he must feel as he waits for each of us to return home. My heart is so small but he expanded and then filled it to overflowing with love for him, our girls, my family and my friends.  Just know I love you all.
Ginger
This was the only picture of me on the camera.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I love it! These are the kinds of things that make all the work that goes into preparing girls camp worth it!

Rachael Papes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emilee said...

I'm so glad you had a great time! I love you mama!